Friday, September 3, 2010

Children's Books - Organizing Tip



My son has a deep closet on one side.



That was a perfect place to store the extensive Pehrson children's library I have collected over the years. :)



I organize them by subject. I skim the book and then write the subject of the book on the inside bottom of the cover page. I do write it in pencil, so I can erase and change, if needed.



Then I can find the subject of book that we want to read about very easily later. It also helps when putting all the books away again.



Then, I put all of those thin books (with no spine, so you can't read the title if they are lined up on a shelf) in hanging folders.



Organized by their subject. I use a label maker for the tags. They fit perfectly in the hanging files. You can fit a lot of books in each hanging file.
On a more normal home library scale, you can use organizing crates to do the same thing. (Note crate on top of file cabinet in the second picture for reference.) They have a lip on each side that the hanging files hang perfectly from. You can also stack the crates with the books in them for storage. (It doesn't crush your labels.)

Now you are ready to really use all of those books you have in stacks around your kids rooms! It works really well!

If you want to keep track of all the books that you have, organize them on Goodreads. It is a free online website all about books. You keep your list of what you have read and can share lists with your friends. Then, you are always up to date on the latest and greatest (or not so great) books. It is a great site.

1 comment:

Caren with a "C" said...

I like the idea of the file cabinet in the corner of the closet! We could definitely use more file cabinets in our house and I think it is a great thing to teach children!