Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grocery Checkout Organization Tip



Key #1 of organization of any kind is grouping. Like items always go together! If you master that one tip, you will find yourself more organized.

The grouping principle also works to save you time. Try it in the grocery store when you are checking out. Group like items together on the conveyor belt for checkout. Group all things that go into the refrigerator on the belt together; yogurts together, cheese together, produce together. Then dry goods; cereal boxes together, drinks together. Same with paper products, hygiene products, canned goods etc.

Our brain automatically groups in clusters, so your friendly checker will automatically go along with your grouping plan without even knowing it! I can pretty well guarantee that most of your now grouped items will end up together in the take away bags.

You will be pleasantly surprised when you come home how much quicker and easier it is to put away your groceries. They are already grouped into the places that they need to go in your home. For me, my hygiene and medicine products are already bagged to go upstairs. When I bring in the groceries, I quickly check the bags and those go right by the stairs to go up. Everything cold quickly goes into the freezer and refrigerator without having to empty all of my bags first.

You won't find a Yoplait in with your Tylenol a day later any more!

Source: My brain

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Love it!

Michaela Stephens said...

That's a good tip. I didn't realize it, but I think I mostly do that already. But I'll be doing it consciously from now on!